Research Assistant Professor of the Institute for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
Office: (852) 3943 5153
Address: Room 421A, 4/F, Lo Kwee-Seong Integrated Biomedical Science Building, Area 39, CUHK
SBS Website: https://www2.sbs.cuhk.edu.hk/en-gb/people/academic-staff/prof-jiang-yangzi
Prof. JIANG, Yangzi received Bachelor (2007) and PhD (2012) in Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, and did her postdoctoral training (2012-2018) at University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Prof. Jiang joined CUHK in 2018, and she is currently a Research Assistant Professor at iTERM/SBS, CUHK.
Contribution to the Field
Prof. Jiang’s previous research work has focused on creating tissue regeneration strategies of musculoskeletal system, particularly in bone and cartilage. Her publications cover the topics of stem cells, tissue engineering, cell transplantation, biomaterials, pathology of osteoarthritis, and translational medicine.
Prof. Jiang has sought to understand the stem/progenitor cell origin (Nat Rev Rheum, 2015) and signaling pathways (Arthritis Res Therapy, 2015) of human articular cartilage in both healthy and disease conditions, and apply these knowledge to instruct the production of functional tissue replacements for clinical use. Prof. Jiang’s work of taking the cartilage derived stem/progenitor cells for repair large-size of osteochondral defect (6-13 cm2, ave 8.5 cm2) in 15 young patients (Stem Cells Transl Med, 2016) has also paved a way for the autologous cell-based Tissue Engineering Techniques as Class III Therapeutics in China (J Ortho Transl, 2014), and many patients had been benefited from her hard work.
Research Interests and Expertise
- Tissue engineering and regenerative medicine
- Cartilage and bone repair and regeneration
- Adult tissue specific stem/progenitor cells
- Regulating stem cells for cell-based therapy
- Regulators of stem cell aging
- Mechanism of osteoarthritis and other degenerative and inflammatory diseases
- Bioproducts for cell-based therapy
- From bench to bedside and to the bench – the pathway of translational medicine
Expertise key words: Osteoarthritis, Tissue Specific Stem Cells; Cartilage; Tissue Engineering; Cell-Based Therapy and Translational Medicine.
Section A (in recent 5 years):
- Cao, M., Ong, M., Yung, P., Tuan, R., & Jiang, Y*. (2022). Role of synovial lymphatic function in osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2022.04.003
- Jiang, Y*. (2022). Osteoarthritis year in review 2021: Biology. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 30(2), 207-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2021.11.009
- Zhu, X., Chan, Y., Yung, P., Tuan, R., & Jiang, Y*. (2021). Subchondral Bone Remodeling: A Therapeutic Target for Osteoarthritis. Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, 8, 607764. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12015-021-10154-6
- Jiang, Y*., & Tuan, R*. (2019). Role of NGF‐TrkA signaling in calcification of articular chondrocytes. The FASEB Journal, 33(9), 10231-10239. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.201900970
- Sun J, Ma X, Chu HT, Feng B, Tuan RS, Jiang Y*. “Biomaterials and Advanced Biofabrication Techniques in hiPSCs Based Neuromyopathic Disease Modeling.” Front Bioeng Biotechnol, 29;7:373 (2019).
Section B (beyond 5 years):
- He J†, Jiang Y†, Alexander PG, Ulici V, Zhu Y, Wu S, Tuan RS. “Infrapatellar Fat Pad Aggravates Degeneration of Acute Traumatized Cartilage: A Possible Role for Interleukin-6.” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 25(1), 138-145 (2017).[doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2016.09.001]
- Jiang Y, Cai Y, Zhang W, Hu C, Tong T, Lu P, Zhang S, Neculai D, Tuan R, Ouyang HW. “Human cartilage derived progenitor cells from committed chondrocytes for efficient cartilage repair and regeneration.” Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 2016; 5(6):733-744.
- Jiang Y, Hu C, Yu S, Yan J, Peng H, Ouyang HW, Tuan RS. “Cartilage stem/progenitor cells are activated in osteoarthritis via interleukin-1β/nerve growth factor signaling.” Arthritis Research & Therapy, 2015; 17:327.
- Jiang Y, Tuan R. “Origin and function of cartilage stem/progenitor cells in osteoarthritis.” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, 2015; 11(4):206-212.
- Zhang W, Heng BC, Jiang Y**, Ouyang HW*. “Clinical translation of autologous cell-based tissue engineering techniques as Class III Therapeutics in China: taking cartilage tissue engineering as an example.” Journal of Orthopaedic Translation; 2014; 2(2):56-65. (**co-corresponding author)
Granted invention patents: 2
Journal Reviewer: >20 journals, since 2008
Journal Guest Editorship: 5, since 2018
Grant External Reviewer: 3 international funding agencies, since 2018
Invited Presentations/ Lectures: 19, since 2018
Keynote Speeches/Distinguished Lectures: 3, since 2018
Adjunct Professorship: 1, since 2022
Member of International Research & Medical Community: 6, since 2008
Committee Member of Medical Association: 1, since 2019
Current Student and Staff Supervision: Experienced in mentoring students in the field of regenerative medicine and orthopaedic research. Mentored students had been awarded with scholarships, research grants and honours from different universities, research communities, states and countries (e.g. China, Australia, and United States). Since 2018: Medical Students & Doctors & PhD students – 5; Postdoc-1; Staff-3; Ms and Ug Students- many