Assistant Professor at the School of Pharmacy
- Development of small-molecule inhibitors for the understanding, treatment, and diagnosis of human diseases (e.g. cancers, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease);
- Development of novel chemical biology tools for probing the posttranslational modifications (PTMs) of gene regulatory proteins;
- Using an integrated chemical biology approach to understand the interplay between epigenetics and metabolism, and to explore epigenetics- and metabolism-associated genes as therapeutic targets.
- “Epigenome-wide CRISPR/Cas9 screen identifies vulnerabilities of Kras-driven lung cancer” Manuscript in preparation.
- WL Ng, TKM Shing. “Synthetic and Biological Studies of Carbasugar SGLT2 Inhibitors”, J. Syn. Org. Chem, 2018; 76:1215–1222.*This is an invited review article.
- SRG Galan, JR Wickens, J Dadova, WL Ng, X Zhang, RA Simion, R Quinlan, E Pires, RS Paton, S Caddick, V Chudasama, BG Davis. “Post-Translational Site-selective Protein Backbone α-Deuteration”, Nat. Chem. Bio., 2018; 14:955.
- WL Ng, AWH Wong, TKM Shing. “Renewable Resource-Based Building Blocks/ Chirons for the Total Synthesis of Natural Products.” Efficiency in Natural Product Total Synthesis, P.-Q. Huang, Z.-J. Yao, R. P. Hsung., eds. Wiley, New York, 2018; 345. ISBN: 978-1-118-94022-8.
- M Imiołek, G Karunanithy, WL Ng, AJ Baldwin, V Gouverneur, BG Davis. “Selective Radical Trifluoromethylation of Native Residues in Proteins.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2018; 140:1568.
- WL Ng, HC Li, KM Lau, AKN Chan, CBS Lau, TKM Shing. “Concise and Stereodivergent Synthesis of Carbasugars Reveals Unexpected Structure-Activity Relationship (SAR) of SGLT2 Inhibition.” Sci. Rep., 2017;7:5581.
- HM Lai, WL Ng, SM Gentleman, W Wu. “Chemical Probes for Visualizing Intact Animal and Human Brain Tissue”, Cell. Chem. Bio., 2017; 24:659.
- WL Ng, KM Lau, CBS Lau, TKM Shing. “Palladium-Catalyzed Arylation of Amino-Carbasugar Enables the Discovery of a Potent and Selective Carbocyclic SGLT2 Inhibitor.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016; 55:13818–13821.*This article was highlighted in Synfacts, 2017, 13, 17.
- TH Wright, BJ Bower, JM Chalker, GJ Bernardes, R Wiewiora, WL Ng, R Raj, S Faulkner, MRJ Vallée, A Phanumartwiwath, OD Coleman, ML Thézénas, M Khan, SRG Galan, L Lercher, S Gerstberger, ME Palm-Espling, BM Kessler, TDW Claridge, S Mohammed, BG Davis. “Post-translational mutagenesis: a chemical strategy for exploration of protein side-chain diversity.” Science, 2016; 354:597.*This article was highlighted in C&EN News, 2016, vol. 94, issue 38, and was also featured in Science, 2016, 354, 553 & Nature Method, 2016, 13, 907.
- HM Lai, AKL Liu, WL Ng, J DeFelice, WS Lee, H Li, W Li, HM Ng, RCC Chang, B Lin, W Wu, SM Gentleman. “Rationalisation and Validation of an Acrylamide-Free Procedure in Three-Dimensional Histological Imaging.” PLoS One, 2016; 11:e0158628.