Assistant Professor at the School of Life Sciences
Office: (852) 3943 6316
Address: Room 503, Mong Man Wai Building, CUHK
- Insect and arthropod biology, zoonotic diseases, insect-plant interactions
- Marine biotechnology, molecular ecology and conservation of biodiversity
- Evolutionary biology
- Hui JHL* “Copepod incompatibilities.” Nature Ecology and Evolution, 2018; 2(8):1203-1204.
- Qu Z, Bendena WG, Nong WY, Siggins KW, Noriega F, Kai ZP, Zang YY, Koon AC, Chan HY, Chan TF, Chu KH, Lam HM, Akam M, Tobe SS, Hui JHL* “MicroRNAs regulate the sesquiterpenoid hormonal pathway in Drosophila and other arthropods.” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 2017; 284:1869.
- Sun J, Zhang Y, Xu T, Zhang Y, Mu H, Zhang Y, Lan Y, Fields CJ, Hui JHL, Zhang W, Li R, Nong WY, Cheung FK, Qiu JW, Qian PY. “Adaptation to deep-sea chemosynthetic environments as revealed by mussel genomes.” Nature Ecology and Evolution, 2017; 1:0121.
- Kenny NJ^, Chan KW^, Nong WY, Qu Z, Maeso I, Yip HY, Chan TF, Kwan HS, Holland PWH, Chu KH, Hui JHL*. “Ancestral whole genome duplication in marine chelicerate horseshoe crabs.” Heredity, 2016; 116:190-199. (One of the most cited papers of the journal from 2016)
- Qu Z, Kenny NJ, Lam HM, Chan TF, Chu KH, Bendena WG, Tobe SS, Hui JHL*. “How did arthropod sesquiterpenoids and ecdysteroids arise? Comparison of hormonal pathway genes in non-insect arthropod genomes.” Genome Biology and Evolution, 2015; 7(7):1951-1959. (Mentioned in journal Science)
- Kenny NJ, Sin YW, Hayward A, Paps J, Chu KH, Hui JHL*. “The phylogenetic utility and functional constraint of microRNA flanking sequences.” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 2015; 282(1803):2014983.
- Kenny NJ, Shen T, Chan T, Wong NW, Chan TF, Chu KH, Lam HM, Hui JHL*. “Genome of the rusty millipede, Trigoniulus corallinus, illuminates diplopod, myriapod and arthropod evolution.” Genome Biology and Evolution, 2015; 7(5):1280-1295. (Cover story of the journal)
- Cheng X, Hui JHL, Lee YY, Law PT, Kwan HS. “A “developmental hourglass” in fungi.” Molecular Biology and Evolution, 2015; 32(6):1556-1566.
- Quah S, Hui JHL, Holland PWH. “A burst of miRNA innovation in the early evolution of butterflies and moths.” Molecular Biology and Evolution, 2015; 32(5):1161-1174.
- Hui JHL, Marco A, Hunt S, Melling J, Griffiths-Jones S, Ronshaugen M. “Structure, evolution and function of the bi-directionally transcribed iab-4 microRNA locus in insects.” Nucleic Acids Research, 2013; 41(5):3352-3361.